This is my twist on a low-carb French Onion soup; however this recipe is more zesty than savory. You can add more protein if desired, or keep it vegetarian- or vegan-friendly. This soup tastes even better the next day
- Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Broth (organic prefered), 32 oz
- Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- Organic Coconut Milk, 1 can (13.5 oz)
- Yellow/Red/Green Curry Paste, 2–4 tbsp (for desired spice)
- Baby Bella Mushrooms (16–24 oz), cut into quarters
- Fish Sauce and Coconut Amino Acids, a dash or two (optional)
- Caramelize the onions in a pot large enough to fit all soup ingredients. Add 1 tbsp of oil (preferably coconut oil) and heat on medium until the onion softens; ~7–12 min.
- Next, toss in mushrooms and let the moisture escape as it adds liquids into the pot. Cook until just softened, but not overcooked; ~5 min.
- Clear a space in the center of the pot and dump the curry past in the center to fry the spices and let them blossom. Stir all to incorporate.
- Add only the full-fat portion of the coconut milk, let simmer for ~3 minutes before incorporating the rest of the milk. Stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, stir, and let simmer for another 5 minutes or so, or until you can’t stand to wait any longer!
- When heated and cooled to a reasonable temperature, squeeze in the juice of a whole lime and serve with an extra wedge on the size.