This is a super easy alternative recipe to mashed potatoes; great for low-carb, no sugar, gluten-free, and paleo adaptable.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 oz (1/2 brick) cream cheese
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish*
- 1 tsp (3 pieces) anchovy finely chopped or paste*
- pinch of paprika* (Spanish or smoked okay)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a stock pot with an inch of water, set it on high, and cover with lid to come to a quick boil.
- Cut cauliflower down the length of the stem and snap off each floret using your hands. Rinse florets; save stems for stock or discard to compost.
- Once water is boiling add steam basket, discard any water that sits above steam basket, and add cauliflower florets. Cover and steam until fork-tender—roughly 20–25 minutes.
- Drain any remaining water off tender florets. Using a standing mixer or hand masher, beat florets, cream cheese, butter, dijon, and other seasonings until reaches buttery consistency, or leave rough but mixed.
6 servings; 3g net carbs; 202 calories; 18.47g fat; 3.46g protein; total carb: 5.45g; fiber: 2.52g