Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables. The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried”, however, in this recipe we bake this keto-friendly, low-carb, no sugar, high-energy breakfast option.
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 strips of bacon, chopped cross-wise of length
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped into thin strips
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- 3 small–medium crowns of brocoli
- 8 cherry/small tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Set oven to 425° F to pre-heat. Snap off brocoli florets using hands, rinse any remaining debris off. Place melted coconut oil in a large bowel, add florets, and salt and pepper to taste; toss.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet, spread brocoli on sheet, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Heat an 8–10 inch pan on high, add bacon bits, reduce heat to medium once it starts sizzling. Fry until almost crispy, remove bacon bits, set aside bacon, and reserve oil separately.
- Add tbsp of bacon grease to same pan on med-high heat and begin to carmelize onions.
- Grease a round or rectangular baking dish (ceramic or glass) with bacon grease. Combine eggs and heavy cream using a whisk; do not over beat. Add carmelized onions, roasted brocoli florets, and egg mixture to baking dish; sprinkle bacon bits evenly over top, add tomatoes cut-side-down, and cheese to top.
- Cover baking dish with foil, shiny side out, and bake at 325º F for 25 minutes; remove foil and turn oven to broil for an additional 5 min to brown cheese. Remove and let set for an additional 10 minutes.